Saturday, October 30, 2010

Speaking of the subway...

What a coincidence! This weekend, the New York Times published a special issue on the New York subway, it's under the NY region specials. The post from Ron Lieber, "Subway Door-Standers" is very funny. The printed version also included comments, most of them complaints actually, from subway riders. I'm sure that if you are an NYC subway rider, you will sympathize with several of them...


But that's not really what I wanted to share. They also put together a slide show, The Subway in Pictures, with pictures taken over the last 90 years. The subway, especially the New York subway, is such a magical place: it surprises you every day! I don't think there has been a single day (and I take the subway almost every day) where I am not amazed by somebody's look (in a good or bad way), laugh at somebody's comment, admire the diversity, listen to amazing music (although many times you are not lucky and the music is terrible), etc.  Some days, unfortunately, I have to get some work done or write personal emails, and so spend all my ride looking at my blackberry, but other days, I simply look around and imagine the pictures I would take if I had a camera with me.
Tonight, Halloween weekend, would have been such a great day to ride the subway, everybody with costumes, unfortunately I'm home sick! Although in New York you don't have to wait for Halloween to see people with costumes, like in picture 9 of the slide show. 
I would like to do a series like slide 10, but I will have to wait to have a smaller camera that I can carry around all the time. Which point and shoot camera would you recommend? I'm basically looking for a camera with fast shooting, manual exposure control and sturdy enough to be in my handbag... I was thinking about the Nikon Coolpix P7000, I have to go to the store to try it. Have any of you tried it?


For those of you who can go out tonight, enjoy your Halloween party!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! And very much enjoyed the slide show by The New York Times. Thanks for sharing!!
    I have the same problem about having to carry a huge camera in my purse all the time, very inconvenient in NYC where we walk so much. Many times I also think, aww I wish I had my camera... and simply imagine the pic, so annoying!!
    Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received this recommendation via facebook http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20153&catalogId=100803&langId=200&productId=8198552921666077169
    I'll be checking it out as well, thank you Sudha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received another recommendation via facebook http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644718498&Name=%26alpha;+NEX+Cameras+%26+Accessories#/nex5Section

    ReplyDelete